A lot of my clients never meant to go years without filing federal tax returns, but they knew they did not have the money to pay, and one year turned into three and then…KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK the IRS was banging on the door. It is always better if you can get those returns filed BEFORE the IRS contacts you, but regardless of whether you have heard from the IRS, if you have unfiled returns it is critical that you get those prepared and filed as soon as possible. For one thing, while owing a balance on your income tax return typically is not a crime, failure to file a tax return can be a criminal offense. That is an entirely different can of worms that you do not want to open up. Even if you know there is no way you can full pay your balance, there are many different options to handle any unpaid balances. But the first thing you have to do is admit you need help and take a step in the right direction to get that help.